For the below reasons I decided to try making bread:
1. I read some interesting articles about the dangers of preservatives and chemicals in store-bought bread.
2. I want to save money. We really only buy 1 or 2 loaves a week, but we also buy hot dog and hamburger buns, pizza crusts, rolls, etc. I can make each thing above for about $1.
3. I want to know how to use our food storage. We have all this wheat, but if a disaster did occur I don't think I would even know what to do with it.
4. Many added health benefits to milling your own flour. Vitamins and nutrients get taken out when bread companies bleach their flour and process the bread.
5. I have had a bread maker sitting around for 14 years and it seems like time to use it.
6. Obviously it is so must tastier!
The first step is milling the flour. I thought Cedric would love hand-cranking the mill. Above is a video of him doing so. He feels so tough being able to do this.
I then add all the ingredients to the breadmaker. I set it to the "dough" cycle. This does all the mixing, kneading and the first rise of the dough. I don't bake in the breadmaker because I don't like the shape of the loaves. So after the dough cycle is complete, I take it out, put it in the bread pans and let it rise again. Then baking time!
No comments:
Post a Comment